The Future of DevOps: 2021 Key Trends and Predictions
The Coronavirus pandemic has turned into a human tragedy, affecting millions of lives and businesses across the world. The global economy has been derailed and been hugely impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak.
As organizations worldwide have no choice but to embark on the path of accelerating their digital transformation, DevOps has become crucial and integral to a business’ success more than ever. With the change in the business landscape and the technology evolving at the lightning speed, DevOps has also evolved to suit the changing needs.
Some of the 2021 emerging DevOps trends expected to impact and reshape the business landscape in the future are:
DevOps Trends to Watch in 2021
1) Rise in Popularity for Microservices Architecture
The capability of the microservice architecture to independently connect fragments of units enables DevOps to focus only on the individual units, which is utmost required for rapid delivery of complex applications. DevOps and Microservices architecture combined saves cost, time, and resources.
Benefits of the Microservices Architecture Approach are:
- Cost-effective, easy maintenance and testing
- Flexible and scalable
- Easily and independently deployable
- Customizable as per business capabilities
- Can be managed by a small team
2) Increased Adoption of DevSecOps
The remote-work setup with people working from across all locations caused by COVID-19 has opened the door for security vulnerabilities. With such explosion of security and cyberattack risks, the need for injecting security into every layer of business operation is more important than ever. Businesses will increasingly adopt a DevSecOps process for bringing security into DevOps.
Benefits of Adopting DevSecOps are:
- Rapid response to changing needs
- Better agility for security
- Automated quality assurance testing
- Early detection and mitigation of vulnerabilities
- Better communication between teams
3) Advancement in Infrastructure Automation (IA) Tools
Implementing infrastructure automation and a continuous delivery model enables DevOps teams to plan and execute self-service, automated delivery services on the on-premises and IaaS environments and provide customer-focused agility and robust improvements.
Benefits of Infrastructure Automation (IA):
- Automated workflows for greater efficiency and accuracy
- Reduced staffing cost
- Better reliability with faster updates
- Improved collaboration between teams
4) Cutting-edge Predictive Analytics in DevOps and AIOps
Predictive Analytics play an important role in preventing latency and managing the changing user needs. Leveraging Predictive Analytics in DevOps and AIOps enables organizations to build strong focus on continuous improvement in the DevOps services. It provides the Infrastructure and Operations teams with a deeper insight into the resources and services being used and also how they could likely be used in the future for the best outcome.
Benefits of Predictive Analytics in DevOps and AIOps are:
- Reduced unplanned downtime
- Improved asset utilization
- Better maintenance and performance of assets
- Quick software delivery with better quality
5) AgileOps for Improved Agility
Hybrid and multi-cloud strategies have been the foundation of a business’ growth and success in the last few years. These strategies provide enterprises with the flexibility and freedom to host applications as per the business requirements. AgileOps is an IT operating model crafted for digital businesses by embracing the agile principles to develop agile ways of working.
Benefits of AgileOps are:
- Delivery of better-quality, higher-performing applications
- Greater application delivery speed
- Maximized stability
- Eliminate delays through cross-functional teams
6) AI and ML Driven DevOps Approach
The volume, variety, and speed at which data is being generated today, it’s a cumbersome task for the organizations with traditional approach and out-dated technologies to handle such massive volumes of data in daily operations.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) driven DevOps approach enables organizations compute and analyze data of any size and scale. Moreover, it also boosts their workflow transforming the way teams develop, deliver, deploy, and manage applications efficiently.
Benefits of AI and ML driven DevOps Approach are:
- Increased agility
- Optimized DevOps environment
- Shortened releases
- Improved customer experiences
- Improved automation
- Improved collaboration between teams
- Quick identification and resolution of issues
7) Integration of Kubernetes with DevOps
Allowing developers to share their dependencies and software with IT operations, Kubernetes help streamline building, testing, and deploying pipelines in DevOps Managed Services.
It provides the tool to respond quickly to the changing customer demands while shifting the burden of running the applications on the cloud. By eliminating manual tasks involved in deploying and scaling containerized applications, Kubernetes enable organizations to smoothly and securely run software when transitioning from one environment to another.
Benefits of Kubernetes in DevOps are:
- Multiple frameworks support
- Constant and streamlined updates
- Canary deployment
- Horizontal auto-scaling
- Hassle-free solution for development, testing, and production environment
- Drives continuous enhancement
- Improved scalability and developer’s productivity
- Reduced time for onboarding new application
8) Inclusion of Cloud Management Platforms (CMPs) on a large scale
Adopting Cloud Management Platform (CMP) for DevOps enables organizations to gain high visibility into their cloud deployments. This gives the ability to control and monitor their cloud computing resources.
Benefits of Cloud Management Platforms (CMPs) Adoption are:
- Better control of cloud environments
- Optimization of costs, performance, and resources
- Enhancement of security
- Provisioning and orchestration
- Improving cloud security
While DevOps continues to be the best solution for organizations to save time and money, increase quality, and reduce time to market, it does require upgrading and integrating modern tools and techniques for changing market needs.
After careful consideration of the DevOps trends and predictions in 2021, it won’t be wrong to say that the future of DevOps lies in self-service capabilities, hybrid design, prioritizing edge, AI and ML integration, and becoming cloud-centric in an all-digital world.
- US DevOps Conferences to Attend in 2021!
- How Containers Can Boost Your DevOps Journey?
- Importance of DevOps in Mobile Application Development
- DevOps Market To Be Worth USD 17 Billion By 2026!
- DevOps For Federal Agencies