Leadership Skills for Successful DevOps Transformation
Many technologies come and go showing some advancement or difference over their peers to stand ahead in the market. It’s a cyclic process as there will immediately be the next one to make its foray! But, that might always not be a winning performance for any technology in any industry, and especially, IT!
There are also technologies that steal hearts because of their style in bringing in transformation. One such that changed the way IT environment operates is DevOps!
DevOps is today’s IT’s most catchy word, not just because of its foray as another technology, instead as a way that introduced new culture to the IT industry that bridged gap between the Development and Operations teams.
But, a successful DevOps implementation in an organization literally means not just managing tasks, it’s all about managing workforce and moving hand-in-hand.
Success of any team usually lies in who handles it and DevOps is no exception to that fact! Here we will see what exactly drives a successful DevOps strategy.
Top Skills That Successful DevOps Transformation Demands
A detailed understanding of various reports, surveys, real-time scenarios helped us assess what exactly are required for successful DevOps adoption.
Digital transformation takes the first position as a primary requirement to make an IT environment a DevOps-driven one.
However, DevOps market trends show that achieving a full-fledged DevOps value proposition means effective management of human resource, which demands following leadership skills:
- Deal with Patience – Transforming entirely to a new culture literally means adjusting to a new environment, which definitely consumes time to offer a comfortable experience further.
- Consider Opinions – An advanced work environment typically demands a friendly environment with the timely exchange of ideas and knowledge for success altogether. So, a leadership quality majorly involves more of listening than speaking as and when required.
- Be Self-potent – A leader is the one who drives success and should ideally be an example for the team. So, a better understanding of team’s preferences, strengths & weaknesses, among others help team managers or leaders manage the transition well at the time of transformation.
- Ability to Train – Posing challenges to team members to encourage them to find answers is a new style of training approach that many leaders adopt. This enhances teams’ engagement in a process.
- Quick Learning – To learn is to teach! So, a leader holding a team is always expected to be a solution for any issue within the team, which sometimes needs the leader step out of comfort zone often.
- All-round Understanding – A person leading DevOps teams should be well aware of all the teams involved in the process as DevOps itself means a combination of two different teams: Development and Operations. So, the concerned team lead should be well-versed with complete technology stack and knowledge associated with the process, which could involve automation, security, implementing tools, etc.
- Diplomacy in Dealing – Dealing with different teams means dealing with different mentalities working on different backgrounds. So, diplomatic way of dealing is utmost important for a DevOps leader while working in coordination with his/her various teams hailing from different work backgrounds.
- Openness to Challenges – Combining Dev and Ops teams means streamlining development and code deployment, which directly leads to faster cycles, sometimes posing chances of potential risks. So, a DevOps leader should be capable of handling challenges arising from both the development and operations teams.
These responsibilities or skill-set literally mean being omni-potent, which is fortunately or unfortunately a must for a DevOps leader to achieve DevOps transformation in an organization.