Leadership Skills for Successful DevOps Transformation
Many technologies come and go showing some advancement or difference over their peers to stand ahead in the market. It’s a cyclic process as there will immediately be the next one to make its foray! But, that might always not be a winning performance for any technology in any industry, and especially, IT!
Some technologies steal hearts because of their style in bringing in transformation. One such that changed the way IT environment operates is DevOps!
DevOps today’s IT’s the most catchy word, not just because of its foray as another technology, instead of as a way that introduced new culture to the IT industry that bridged the gap between the Development and Operations teams.
But, a successful DevOps implementation in an organization literally means not just managing tasks, it’s all about managing the workforce and moving hand-in-hand.
The success of any team usually lies in who handles it and DevOps is no exception to that fact! Here we will see what exactly drives a successful DevOps strategy.
Top Skills That Successful DevOps Transformation Demands
A detailed understanding of various reports, surveys, real-time scenarios helped us assess what exactly is required for successful DevOps adoption.
Digital transformation takes the first position as a primary requirement to make an IT environment a DevOps-driven one.
However, DevOps market trends show that achieving a full-fledged DevOps value proposition means effective management of the human resource, which demands the following leadership skills:
- Deal with Patience – Transforming entirely to a new culture means adjusting to a new environment, which consumes time to offer a comfortable experience further.
- Consider Opinions – An advanced work environment typically demands a friendly atmosphere with the timely exchange of ideas and knowledge for success altogether. So, a leadership quality majorly involves more listening than speaking as and when required.
- Be Self-potent – A leader is the one who drives success and should ideally be an example for the team. So, a better understanding of the team’s preferences, strengths & weaknesses, among others helps team managers or leaders manage the transition well at the time of transformation.
- Ability to Train – Posing challenges to team members to encourage them to find answers is a new style of training approach that many leaders adopt. It enhances teams’ engagement in a process.
- Quick Learning – To learn is to teach! So, a leader holding a team is always expected to be a solution for any issue within the group, which sometimes needs the leader to step out of comfort zone often.
- All-round Understanding – A person leading DevOps teams should be well aware of all the teams involved in the process as DevOps itself means a combination of two different sides: Development and Operations. So, the concerned team lead should be well-versed with complete technology stack and knowledge associated with the process, which could involve automation, security, implementing tools, etc.
- Diplomacy in Dealing – Dealing with different teams means dealing with different mentalities working on different backgrounds. So, a diplomatic way of dealing is of utmost importance for a DevOps leader while working in coordination with his/her various teams hailing from different work backgrounds.
- Openness to Challenges – Combining Dev and Ops teams means streamlining development and code deployment, which directly leads to faster cycles, sometimes posing chances of potential risks. So, a DevOps leader should be capable of handling challenges arising from both the development and operations teams.
These responsibilities or skill-set mean being omnipotent, which is fortunately or unfortunately, a must for a DevOps leader to achieve DevOps transformation in an organization.