Best Practices for Effective ‘Identity and Access Management (IAM)’ Implementation
Identity and access are the two significant entry points for any cyber threat incident.
This risk vulnerability has increased further with the rise of digital adoption and expanding cloud space.
That’s when the Identity and Access Management (IAM) solution extends the helping hand!
From fulfilling the requirements of leading compliance regulations through successful audits to addressing many emerging IT security risks, IAM solutions help you in many ways.
But the results in IAM are purely dependent on how you implement your IAM program part of your IT security policy.
We will look at four best practices that serve as the guide for successful IAM implementation:
1) Clearly Define IAM Vision
The critical fundamental for successful IAM implementation is understanding it as a combination of technology solutions and business processes to manage identities and access corporate data and applications.
- Start to tie in business processes with your IAM program from the concept stage itself.
- Build your current and future IT capabilities, such as cloud-based implementations based on the current IT and network infrastructure.
- Engineer the roles between users and applications regarding privileges, rules, policies, and constraints.
- Map access privileges to business roles, identify excessive privileges, accounts, and redundant/dead groups.
- Make sure to fulfill all auditing requirements to be in line with compliance regulations, privacy, and data governance policies. This will help the teams make informed decisions.
- Take the enterprise-wide approach in implementing authorization procedures, security, and management, integration across domains part of your IAM architecture.
2) Develop A Strong Foundation
This requires a comprehensive evaluation of IAM product capabilities and its sync with organizational IT. This should be followed by an effective risk assessment of all organizational applications and platforms.
The assessment should ideally cover:
- Comparison between standard and in-house, and their versions
- Identification of OS, third-party apps currently in use and mapping with the functionalities offered by the IAM program
- Customizations made to fulfill new requirements
- Technological capabilities and limitations
Don’t forget to involve IAM Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) in standardizing and enforcement of the IAM policy.
3) Stage-wise Implementation
Based on the first two practices, the IAM program should be implemented. A stage-wise procedure is recommended to avoid complexities in the IAM implement process.
4) Stakeholder Awareness
Unlike usual training sessions, the IAM program-related stakeholder awareness program should cover detailed training on the underlying technology, product abilities, and scalability factors.
Each IAM solution implementation awareness program should have an approach tailored to the requirements of different user communities.
More than anyone, IT teams require detailed know-how of the IAM program and its core activities. Even the Operations team should be aware of the capabilities across different stages of the IAM lifecycle.
The training process should be a continuous activity and should happen in tandem with the changing processes or emerging capabilities.
These best practices help in the smooth and seamless implementation of an IAM program.
A cost-effective IAM program can also be achieved through:
- In-depth requirement analysis as a combination of information gathering and perfect scope definition
- Effective design backed by a perfectly planned architecture and solution design
- Robust development through perfect process setup and effective integration
- Streamlined production roll-out with seamless migration from User Acceptance Testing to live release
- Effective support and maintenance through proper training, post-production, and enhancements
Most IAM programs fail due to ineffective management in either single or all stages of implementation. This is where the above listed IAM best practices help in the smooth implementation of an IAM program.
Looking for IAM Implementation Support in US?
Choosing Veritis for IAM Solutions implementation is a good option for the following reasons:
- IAM Subject Matter Expertise support
- Strategic IAM roadmap and design
- Minimized risk scope in modifying IAM architecture designs
- Quicker product evaluation
- Expected ROI and enhanced user experience
- Tailored solutions for smooth roll-out
- Effective application on-boarding
- Easy and effective migration
- Seamless deployment of environments